In today’s world, moving to the cloud makes more business sense than ever before. Cloud computing boosts efficiency, saves money and improves collaboration and flexibility.
Cloud adoption is relatively straightforward for experienced IT partners, so worries about migration, data loss and new procedures have diminished over the past few years. Providing you work with a partner that has expertise in cloud adoption, integrating your systems and applications and ensuring compliance and security can be a smooth process.
While cloud computing provides infinite benefits, we’ve compiled a list of ten key advantages.
Ten Benefits of Cloud Computing
1. Achieve Economies of Scale – The cloud delivers scalability, allowing you to increase your volume output with fewer resources. With cloud technology, you only need to pay for the storage you require, but as your business needs increase, you can easily add storage without investing in costly hardware or software. This levels the playing field for many businesses and grants the opportunity to be more competitive. Your cost per unit, project or product plummets, allowing you to produce more for less.
2. Reduce Costs – You are likely familiar with the enormous capital investment necessary to purchase servers & technology infrastructure. With cloud computing, your costs are based on your needs and you only pay for the storage you need as you go (weekly, quarterly or yearly). No major equipment purchases or upfront investments are necessary.
Additionally, updates & software patches can be “installed” automatically (and remotely), eliminating expensive upgrades, hardware, software, licensing fees and the need for inhouse IT resources to spend their time managing disruptive updates.
3. Globalize Your Workforce and Increase their Accessibility – One of the greatest benefits of cloud computing is the ease of file sharing and boosted collaboration. Your team members can access files and information in real-time from anywhere at any time. Providing they have an internet connection, your worldwide workforce can access the applications they need from almost any device.
4. Streamline Processes – The benefit of increased accessibility and collaboration results in enhanced functionality and helps to generate more innovative ideas and thinking for automation and streamlining processes. Through cloud technology, simplify processes and accomplish more with fewer resources.
5. Be a Responsible Community Partner and Reduce Your Carbon Footprint – Cloud computing can eradicate the need for the excessive energy use needed to run large servers and equipment, as well as the need for the internal resources required to manage and maintain that equipment. By expanding accessibility and collaboration through digital file sharing, there is less of a need for “printing files,” which benefits your organization and the planet.
6. Increased Security – While the idea of handing over “control” of safety and security may concern some, cloud computing is likely to be more reliable than your internal servers. A physical infrastructure is susceptible to natural disasters, mechanical issues and more. Data loss isn’t a concern in the cloud as responsible and compliant cloud providers are perpetually auditing systems to ensure reliability. Responsible cloud partners are experts in the latest security measures & provide more continuous oversight than an internal team could ever manage.
7. Monitor Projects More Effectively – Another advantage of accessibility and collaboration through cloud computing allows teams to easily monitor project workflow and budgets and stay on track of - and even ahead of - completion times.
8. Simplified Software Updates – Not only do companies recognize significant cost savings on program upgrades and software licenses, but the entire process is simplified. Updates happen automatically without headaches and the disruption of work for your staff and internal IT team.
9. Document Control – Depending on the nature of your business, file privacy and accessibility can be a very sensitive issue. Through cloud technology, you can select which data or files can be opened, edited and shared by which users. By reducing the need to print paper files and have multiple versions in circulation, it is also much easier to ensure that your one digital document is the most current version.
10. Improved Overall Flexibility – when you are no longer tied to a complex and sometimes cumbersome infrastructure, your company can easily change direction as needed without serious “people” or “financial” issues. Often organizations can get bogged down or forced to maintain an unwieldy system or direction because the IT change can be too expensive, time-consuming or painful. Cloud technology increases time-to-market and delivers a competitive advantage.
Cloud adoption offers benefits in both the short and long-term. Providing your transition to cloud computing is carefully planned and executed with an experienced strategic IT partner that adheres to best practices, it should be a smooth migration that ultimately helps transform your business for the better!